Sunday, March 02, 2008

Bad Idea

I just found this little blurb from Jim Hawkins' article this morning:

With the lefthanded Sabathia on the mound Saturday, Leyland batted Pudge Rodriguez leadoff, as he plans to do at times during the regular season.
I hope that's speculation. It makes no sense to bat a sub .300 OBP player in the leadoff spot, regardless of how much you are paying him. This brings me to one more gripe I had with yesterday's lineup: no Curtis Granderson. Yes, I know it's the spring and I know the games don't count, but Granderson isn't going to get any better against lefties from the bench. Yesterday was the perfect opportunity to get him practice in an attempt to fix his most glaring weakness. It would be nice to not have to platoon Granderson this year. Hopefully he gets some practice in against tough lefthanders this month.

Matt Mantei struggled a bit today, giving up two runs and walking one in his inning. It sounded like the ball was being hit pretty hard against him as well. If you ask me, he'll need to be lights out to show he's ready this year. Yorman Bazardo pitched really well in his inning, less than a week after the death of his father.

No comments: