Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Found 'em!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11042008/sports/yankees/al_player_rankings_136998.htm

I've already gone through the AL Catchers. The players are correct, but there are some errors.

I've found three errors already.
  • Jarrod Saltalamacchia's name is too long and caused some import problems that I didn't catch. He was, therefore, way too low in the projected rankings.
  • It appears as if suspension time doesn't count in the DL adjustment. John Buck, Miguel Olivo, and Ivan Rodriguez were all too high.
  • Even after adjusting, it appears as if they are still too high. When I take everybody's score and multiply it by 31*7/100, here is the error I'm getting for each player.
Joe Mauer -1.0
Victor Martinez 1.0
Jorge Posada -3.0
A.J. Pierzynski 2.0
Jason Varitek 0.0
Ivan Rodriguez 6.0
Ramon Hernandez -4.0
Dioner Navarro 0.0
Mike Napoli -2.0
Kurt Suzuki -2.0
Kenji Johjima -1.0
Miguel Olivo 3.0
Gregg Zaun -3.0
Kelly Shoppach 0.0
Gerald Laird 2.0
Mike Redmond 1.0
Rod Barajas -2.0
John Buck 0.0
Dave Ross 3.0
Jamie Burke 1.0
Jose Molina 0.0
Jeff Mathis 1.0
Jarrod Saltalamacchia -0.5
Jeff Clement -7.0
Rob Bowen 2.0
Kevin Cash 3.5
Toby Hall 1.0
Shawn Riggans 1.0
Guillermo Quiroz 1.0
Sal Fasano -3.0
Dane Sardinha -0.5
Vance Wilson 0.5

A positive value means I overestimated their ranking, a negative value means I underestimated. What do some of the bigger numbers have in common? Frankly, I'm not sure.

Also, Vance Wilson finished with zero. What is this a big deal? Well, he tied with Dane Sardinha with zero home runs. How could Sardinha have been ranked above Wilson? That makes no sense to me, and I'm at a loss to explain it.

No comments: