Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Humberto Sanchez and Cameron Maybin named to the futures team

The futures game is a great chance to see prospects on national television. It will probably be broadcasted on ESPN2 and Peter Gammons is likely to be one of the main commentators. He typically has an idea of what teams think of prospects and is one of the few national reporters that really seems to enjoy learning about the rising talent.

I am sure that they will have a ton of good things to say about both of these guys and I am sure that both will get at least some playing time (barring Sanchez being on the Tigers roster on July 9th).

Anyway I would tune in to watch the Tigers two best prospects. Just like last season when it was Joel Zumaya and Justin Verlander flashing their talents.

It feels good to have legit prospects to send unlike when the Tigers had players like Preston Larrison in the game.

3 comments:

ThinkingMan said...

It is nice to see the Tigers with some stud prospects, for sure. I've read through your comments about our positional players, and I tend to agree with most of your assessments. I guess the guy I'm wondering about the most is Brent Clevlen. He had a breakout year at Lakeland last year and seemed ready to rocket the rest of the way up the ladder. But now he's struggling like he did two years ago. Is this guy a legit prospect? The way he's going, he'll be back at Erie next year.
Also, I'm not so sure I agree with your K/BB ratio theory. Yes, it's better to have a good one, no arguement there. But I don't think it's necessarily the death-nell to a prospect if he doesn't have a good one. Sometimes I think it comes down to the smell test... does this guy really have the tools to be a Major League player. Tony G is a good example. When he got his cup of coffee with the Tigers, you could tell that he has some ability. But he looks like a utility guy to me, at best.

ThinkingMan said...

It is nice to see the Tigers with some stud prospects, for sure. I've read through your comments about our positional players, and I tend to agree with most of your assessments. I guess the guy I'm wondering about the most is Brent Clevlen. He had a breakout year at Lakeland last year and seemed ready to rocket the rest of the way up the ladder. But now he's struggling like he did two years ago. Is this guy a legit prospect? The way he's going, he'll be back at Erie next year.
Also, I'm not so sure I agree with your K/BB ratio theory. Yes, it's better to have a good one, no arguement there. But I don't think it's necessarily the death-nell to a prospect if he doesn't have a good one. Sometimes I think it comes down to the smell test... does this guy really have the tools to be a Major League player. Tony G is a good example. When he got his cup of coffee with the Tigers, you could tell that he has some ability. But he looks like a utility guy to me, at best.

Anonymous said...

http://didrex-moza.blogspot.com/
See you.